At our monthly retreats (zazenkais) and bi-annual sesshins, Jack Duffy Roshi gives teishos, which are formal talks thought of as presentations of dharma. Teachers Lee Shields and Madelon Bolling, and other Three Treasures Sangha members, give talks at our monthly retreats.
Below are links to Jack Duffy’s talks.
Three Treasures Sangha Student Talks
1. Blue Cliff Record Case 6: Yun-Men’s Good Day
By Scott Ruplin
Zenkai, Dec. 3-4, 2011
The following teishos are available as audio recordings on the Mountain Lamp website.
Fall 2011 at TTS’ Beginners’ Zenkai
These words were offered for beginners and beginners-at-heart.
Fall of 2011 at Walking Rain Sesshin.
These talks focus on recently translated works shedding new light on Zen’s female ancestry.
- In what moment (Teisho 1)
- Walk with fellow companions (Teisho 2)
- Thousands of candles (Teisho 3)
- Butterfly dream (Teisho 4)
- Your great joy (Teisho 5)
Spring of 2011 at Branching Moon Sesshin
- Grandmotherly Heart (Teisho 1)
- First Time (Teisho 2)
- Always Glows (Teisho 3)
- Save All Beings (Teisho 4)
- Please Care (Teisho 5)
Spring of 2011 at Kairos in Spokane
- When a person start to search out the dharma, she seperates herself far from it. – Talk 1
- The sound of a snake eating a frog. – Talk 2
Summer of 2010 at Ancient Bones
- Day One of Ancient Bones 2010 – Talk 1
- Introduction to the Heart Sutra – Talk 2
- Heart Sutra – Understanding the Middle Way – Talk 3
- Fall of 2010 at Walking Rain Sesshin
- Talk 4 on the Heart Sutra – Talk 1
Talk 5 on the Heart Sutra – Talk 2
Introduction on the Genjo Koan – Talk 3
Exploring the title of the Genjo Koan – Talk 4
“Forget the Self” – Talk 5
2010 at Branching Moon Sesshin
Talk 6 was lost to technical gremlins.
- Section 4 of the Shodoka – Talk 1
- Section 5 of the Shodoka – Talk 2
- Section 15 of the Shodoka – Talk 3
- Section 16 of the Shodoka – Talk 4
- “Long Broad Tongue” – Talk 5
2009 at Walking Rain Sesshin
The talks focus on the Shodoka “Song of Realizing the Way”. These words were offered as teisho (a Dharma talk) during the sesshin but the recordings were damaged so Jack kindly re-gave the talks in a slightly different context at the “Golden Wind” retreat in Spokane winter of 2009. Other talks in this series will be post here as they become available.
2008 at Walking Rain Sesshin by Jack Duffy.
2008 at Branching Moon Sesshin
- Linchi’s “Environment”
Linchi’s Teaching #10
- Linchi’s “Have Faith in Yourself”
Linchi’s Teaching #11
- Linchi’s “Just Act Ordinary”
Linchi’s Teaching #13
- Linchi’s “What is the Buddha devil?”
Linchi’s Teaching #14
2007 at Walking Rain Sesshin
The final talk was given by Jana Zeedyk.
- Blue Cliff Record, Case #46
Ching Ch’ing’s Sound of Raindrops – Part 1
- Blue Cliff Record, Case #46
Ching Ch’ing’s Sound of Raindrops – Part 2 & Three Bodies of the Buddha: Sambogakaya and Nirmanakaya
- Three Bodies of the Buddha
Continuing with the Three Bodies of the Buddha: Nirmanakaya and Dharmakaya
- Blue Cliff Record, Case #91
Yen Kuan’s Rhinoceros Fan
- Sitting on the Autumn Moon
A talk given by Jana Zeedyk
2007 at Branching Moon Sesshin on Tozan’s Five Ranks
- No distinction
Dogen: Zazen Universally Recommended
- Tozan’s Five Ranks
Tozan’s Five Ranks – Introduction and First Mode of the First Cycle
- Portray the master’s likeness
Tozan’s Five Ranks – Second Mode of the First Cycle
- Make your own way
Tozan’s Five Ranks – First Mode of the Second Cycle
Tozan’s Five Ranks – Second Mode of the Second Cycle